Friday, January 28, 2011

Chicken Chickpea soup and more!

We have really been enjoying Costco dinners ever since we've gotten a membership. They have some really great pastas, and various other things that we have tried and loved. The best part is that they have great ingredient lists and take no time to prepare (usually just heat and eat!).
Just recently, we had falafels from Costco with an all out Greek-inspired spread. These falafel not only taste great but are quite nutritious!
I've made homemade falafel before and they didn't even compare to these. I liked how, when heated in the oven, they got crisp on the outside and stayed smooth in the inside.
We had everything you could imagine to pair with these guys.
Pita bread, hummus, cucumber and tomato slices, greek yogurt, feta cheese, and olives. I could have made a tzatziki sauce, but I was too lazy. Remember, its all about the "heat and eat"! Its always fun to be able to build your own meal, too.
Yum! Although we demolished all of the tomato and cucumber, we had some falafel balls leftover. I've been preparing myself repeat falafel pitas the past couple days that have been just as good as the first time around!

Another Costco dinner was an egg white quiche. The package came with two flavors: feta artichoke and broccoli cheddar. We decided to eat the broccoli cheddar and freeze the other one for later.
It's hard to tell from the picture, but this quiche is quite small. In fact, between the three of us, we finished it off!
We had the quiche along side some asparagus with some leftover lemon sauce.
This quiche was surprisingly very tasty! It had a lot of flavor going on and wasn't bland at all. The only gripe I have with it was that it was rather crust-heavy.
Oh and my second piece of strawberry rhubarb pie was even better the next day! The filling had thickened even more over night :D
I had fun with the whipped cream, as you can see.
***
Besides having "Costco Dinners" we've also had a couple meals that I made. In fact, I think I made all the dinners this past week!
In an "eggy" mood I made a frittata that contained potatoes, roasted broccoli and brussel sprouts, mushrooms, onions, and bacon.
I topped half with sharp cheddar and left the other half bare because I wasn't sure if the flavors would work or not. Luckily it did! This frittata was good, but I still have some work to do on my frittata skills. The bottom was burnt a little, I cooked it a bit too long, and I was a little over zealous with the veggies (it was kind of falling apart!).

I also made soup! It was definitely the perfect night for soup, aka-cold. I made a Chicken Chickpea Soup that I saw over at How Sweet It Is. I followed her recipe pretty closely except I added more spices, never added any salt, and more veggies!
Jessica recommended topping it with Parmesan cheese, so I did, but on my second bowl I went sans parmesan and actually liked it better that way.
I really liked this soup and my parents loved it too! The leftovers are all gone :D There was a lot of great flavors going on and this soup just hit the spot.

I had leftover chickpeas from that soup and it just so happened to be right around 1/2 a cup...perfect for a microwave bean brownie that Kate invented! I kind of changed a lot of things up so I'm not sure if it changed its outcome or not. I added a little instant coffee, 2 teaspoons of sugar, 2 teaspoons of mini chocolate chips, a dash of vanilla, and a dash of peppermint extract. I also spread it kind of thin in the container I was cooking it in, so I only cooked it for 2 minutes 50 seconds.
Here it is outta the microwave! Like Kate, I don't have the best processor, so there was still some visible garbanzo bean bits.
I broke it in half and had a half with a half a serving (yes that's a lot of "half"s!) of mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Yes, that is a half serving of ice cream. I weighed it! Soo tiny!
So the verdict on the brownie? Hmm. I don't know. It seemed to be lacking flavor and seemed really dry. When paired with the ice cream it tasted alright but by itself, I couldn't taste a thing. Now, I did change the recipe up a bunch so that could have been my problem.
I dont know Kate, is this what the inside is supposed to look like?
Probably over cooked it. Maybe I should try it again without messing with the recipe so much!
I thought this shot looked kind of artsy-
With the horizontal and diagonal lines :P Oh and that little blue circle is my dog's food bowl.

Oh! And before I go I have to share with y'all my lunch from today!
It was a hummus, cucumber, tomato, and sprout sandwich on some of my homemade bread that I had stuck in the freezer. So good!! I love this combo because not only does it taste good, but I feel good after eating it; such fresh ingredients :D
And don't you love my plate? Gotta love chubby farm animals!
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment