Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Bun Run 5k!

Today I ran the Schlotzsky's Bun Run 5k with my dad. I ran the race last year with a time of 33 minutes so I was hoping I could beat that.

It started at 8:30, which isn't too bad, but I didn't get nearly enough sleep last night so I was pretty tired. Before the race I fueled up with my tradition pre-race breakfast of oatmeal and a scoop of nut butter (in this case, homemade dark chocolate almond butter). I've never experienced problems with this breakfast (i.e stomach upsets, side stitches, etc) so it's just become my go-to food before races. And this time, since I was so tired, I added a shot of espresso to my oats...that sure helped (:

Unlike the Cap 10k, the weather wasn't as perfect. The good thing was that it wasn't sunny; the bad thing was that it was pretty humid. You win some, you lose some!

Lined up and ready to go!
Yeah, I was definitely tired...
And my dad- (yes, that is his smiling face)
I decided to set my goal for 29 minutes and my dad set his goal for 45 (he was planning to walk most of it).

And off we went!

I actually got a cool app for my (new!) iPhone that tracked my run. It can tell you the elevation and stats such as distance, time, minutes/mile, and calories burned. Its called "iMapMyRun" and its free!
Here's the map of my run (click on "elevation" to see the elevation levels)

And how did I do time wise? I did it in 29 minutes and 14 seconds! It wasn't under 29 minutes, but I was able to shave off 4 minutes from my previous time :D

After I finished, I immediately munched on half a banana and chugged a bottle of water.

While I was waiting for my dad to finish, I decided to take a look at all the booths and freebies. One of the booths that was there was "Boundless Nutrition", a protein/nutrition bar company that is based in Austin. I had a chance to taste their Dark Chocolate Mint bar (freebie from packet pick-up!) and fell in love with both the taste AND the nutritional information. So often I see "nutrition" bars that are really candy bars in a healthy guise. These bars, however, only have 8 grams of sugar per bar, 5 grams of fiber, and 14 grams of protein! Not to mention tons of antioxidant and omega 3 fatty acids. I was stoked to see their booth so I could tell them how much I loved their product! I actually got to talk to the guy who started the whole thing and he was really happy that someone had so much appreciation for his product; I think it made his day!

He was so happy that he offered me a free Boundless Nutrition shirt! This shirt was one of those fancy, athletic/spandexy type shirts, so you can bet I was excited :D

I had the opportunity to try all of the other Boundless Nutrition bar flavors (Mocha, Dark Chocolate Peanut, and Blueberry Pomegranate Crunch) and I have to say my favorite is still the Dark Chocolate Mint; I just love that combination! There's just a hint of almond butter in the bar and it really rounds out all the flavors. If you're not a fan of the mint & chocolate combo, then the dark chocolate peanut definitely comes in as a close second. Its basically like a peanut butter chocolate rice krispie except for much much much much MUCH tastier.

As I was walking away, I was given a bag to carry all my goodies in and low and behold there was another dark chocolate mint bar in there! SCORE!

I got in line to get the rest of my goodies. This was probably the longest line I've ever seen but luckily it was going fast. I got two bags of Schlotzsky's potato chips (sour cream & onion and barbeque), a big bottle of Schlotzsky's hot sauce, some ear phones, a magnet to put my race picture in, two small chocolate chip cookies, and a small cinnabon cinnamon roll. Yes, every single racer got these things!

Then we moved over to a station that was giving out small cups of vanilla ice cream. This stuff was good! It wasn't the soft serve type, this one was thick and dense and melt in your mouth.

The freebie train wasn't over yet. We then got in an almost equally as long line for a free cupcake from "Hey Cupcake!", a well-known cupcake food trailer in Austin.
Hey Cupcake!
I think it was really awesome that they were giving out thousands of free cupcakes seeing as their cupcakes are normally $2.75 a pop.
As we got closer, I knew I would have to make a decision on which flavor I would get...
Almost there!
I was torn between all the delicious-sounding flavors but in the end went with the "double dose" -chocolate cake w/ chocolate buttercream.
It was super windy, so getting a shot without the little white paper flopping all over the cupcake was quite tricky.
My dad went with the "24 carrot" - carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.
I'm a total lover for carrot cake, but I love chocolate even more. :D

Since we had already eaten our fair share of sweets for the morning, we toted our cupcakes home for a treat later on.
And now for a picture of all my goods! (minus things already eaten)
My chocolate mint bars, the picture magnet, ear phones, athletic Boundless Nutrition shirt, hot sauce, cookies, cupcake, and chips!
And since I wasn't in the wind anymore, I took some more pictures of my cupcake-
So dark looking!
I'm saving this guy for dessert later tonight so I can't tell you how it tastes yet. But really, do I need to? Just look at it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment