Monday, February 21, 2011

Cookie Dough Dip! (You gotta read this)

I found this AH-MAZ-ING dip recipe over at The Wannabe Chef that was just calling my name.

When someone says "Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Dessert Hummus" they may get weird looks from the majority of the people around them but I've heard of dessert hummus before, so its not a completely knew concept. The problem is that I have only attempted to make dessert hummus once before and it ended up tasting so-so (not horrible, but I admit, half of it went into the trash because it was getting old sitting in the fridge..).

HOWEVER, this particular recipe had people saying it tasted JUST like cookie dough. Cookie dough? I mean come on let's not go over board...I was definitely a skeptic.

I made the dip regardless and was amazed by the outcome. Y'ALL IT TASTES JUST LIKE COOKIE DOUGH! Okay, so maybe not "just" but pretty dang close!
 Looks like it too!
I slightly adapted the recipe for using one 15 ounce can of chickpeas (which is 1 1/2 cups instead of 2 cups, like Evan's recipe). The proportions are the same except for the vanilla, which I kept the same despite the drop of the other ingredients, and just a slight less amount of maple syrup.
Cookie Dough Dip
1 (15 ounce can) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoons peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1/4 maple syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons chocolate chips

Evan recommends removing the skins of the chickpeas for the smoothest texture, but I decided to keep them on out of sheer laziness and also because I think the skin probably holds some nutrition. Indeed my dip wasn't super smooth, but it was barely noticeable. Also, I used dark chocolate chips, which is highly recommended :D

Blend the first 4 ingredients in a food processor until it's as smooth as it will get. Remove mixture and put into a serving bowl. Fold in chocolate chips and serve! Makes 1 1/2 cups.

I like mine the best plain or with pretzels but its also great with (organic) graham crackers:
These ones aren't homemade, but I did get them on sale for half their normal price!! (which, when half off, is the same price as non organic normally..)
Get in my belly :D
Nom nom nom.
And also great with carrots!
That surprising burst of chocolate is absolutely to die for.

I made another batch for my friend whom I know would love something like this. However for this batch I made it with sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter because she's allergic. I also used mini chocolate chips as opposed to normal sized because I thought it would make the chocolate flavor more evenly dispersed. Turns out I like the bigger chips better! That way the chocolate flavor doesn't get lost and you can get one big bite of chocolate instead of miniature bites.

Also, I think that normal peanut butter (I used Skippy Natural) will work better in this than homemade. Granted I haven't tried making the dip with a homemade nut butter but I think that real intense flavor is needed.

And I decided to calculate the nutritional information so I could compare it to hummus and peanut butter itself.
1 (2 tablespoon serving) made with peanut butter:
Calories: 115
Fat: 5.4 grams
Fiber: 1 gram
Sugar: 7 grams
Protein: 3.4 grams

Not too shabby! 7 grams of sugar for something that tastes like cookie dough is really not bad at all (and comparatively is the same to most commercial peanut butters). Its also great to know that almost all of that fat is the good kind of fat from the peanut butter :D
Now, my nutritional analysis is from the products I used in my dip and might vary depending on the nut butter or even the can of chickpeas you use (I've noticed that varying brands of chickpeas will have varying nutritional labels although you'd think they would all be the same!).
In fact, if you use SunButter instead of peanut butter you'll be adding .4 grams of fiber to each serving!

I can't wait to come up with different variations for this base recipe. Like, what if instead of chocolate chips- raisins and some cooked oatmeal so it would be kind of like a oatmeal raisin cookie. Or chocolate almond butter and coconut flakes. Or white chocolate chips instead of dark! Oo! Maybe cocoa nibs, too! (Can you tell I'm getting excited?)

Don't blame me if you get addicted to this stuff, y'all. It just might happen.
Thanks Evan for the fabulous recipe!!
<3 Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment