Sunday, February 27, 2011

In a breakfast rut?

Well hopefully this post will give you some fun ideas :D
Remember when I named my coconut lime banana bread as my favorite banana bread recipe? Well I take that back. Yes, it's definitely up there. I mean, hey, it's number two! But my number one is, for sure, my adaption of a banana cake recipe I found a while back. It has the classic flavors of bananas and chocolate chips, but you could always sub toasted chopped walnuts or any other nut for the chocolate chips. This is my favorite because it produces a light banana muffin with a wonderful caramelized flavor.
"Caramelized" Whole Wheat Banana Muffins:
Ingredients:
3 very ripe bananas
2 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/3-1/2 cup turbinado sugar (if using nuts, I would use 1/2 cup. If using chocolate chips, use 1/3)
1/3-1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips

For topping:
2 Tbsp. turbinado sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or spray with cooking spray.
 
In a microwave safe bowl, mash the bananas slightly. Microwave on high for a minute and half to two minutes. Add sugar and stir until some of the sugar dissolves. Place in freezer to cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
 
In a bowl combine flour, cinnamon, chocolate chips, and baking soda.

Once banana mixture has cooled, add egg and vanilla extract. Combine this wet mixture with the dry mixture.

In a small bowl, stir together the topping ingredients. 

Fill muffin tins with muffin batter and sprinkle with topping mixture.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
 I've made these muffins many times and each time they come out smelling and tasting absolutely delicious!
They work really well using the silicone cups too.
These taste like they came straight from a bakery!

Got bananas that aren't ripe enough for muffins? No fear, make banana dogs!
This isn't so much a recipe, just a very very delicious idea :D
Take one hoagie roll or large hot dog bun and put it under the broiler to crisp up. Then, slather one side with crunchy PB and the other side with chocolate almond butter (or any other nut butter combo). Place your banana on there and then top with crunchy cocoa nibs and toasted coconut! YUM!!!
This seriously made my day. I couldn't get over how delicious this was! Crunchy and smooth textures all ova tha place! :D

And what do you do when that certain homemade chocolate almond butter jar nears empty?
You make oats in a jar! This time I tried going for a chocolate orange theme.
In the mix-
-1/4 cup oatmeal +  1/2 cup water/almond breeze
-1 clementine
-half a banana
-orange marmalade
-orange and vanilla extract
-flaxseeds
-dollop of greek yogurt
aannddd half of a black bean brownie!

Best idea, ever.
Not the prettiest thing in the world but gosh darn tasty!!
The jar went from this:
To this, in a matter of minutes.
Go ahead, ask me if I liked it :P

No almost empty jar of nut butter around, but got oats on the brain? Then make lemon blueberry oats!

This baby was simple but so delicious. It was just basic oats with banana and flax seed mixed in. But I kicked it up a notch by adding lemon zest and lemon juice, and then a handful of blueberries in the final minutes of cooking just to soften them up a bit. Then I topped it with a dollop of homemade lemon curd and a couple fresh blueberries.
Obviously, the lemon blueberry combination in these oats was amazing, as is any lemon blueberry combination (also known as LB)

Okay, so you love lemon and blueberries, but maybe oats aren't your thing. Well do I have something for you!
Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes!!
 I used Holly's recipe over at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices. I've been having the biggest craving for lemon poppy seed something (i.e muffins, pancakes, bread, etc) lately and just hadn't found any appealing recipes.
Well of course, until now! These pancakes are vegan, so easy to make, and obviously absolutely delicious!
For this batch, I didn't have almond milk so I just used buttermilk (not vegan) and omitted the vinegar. I shared the batch with my dad and we both loved them!! Pretty much everything a pancake should be, plus more. And an awesome ingredient list.
 
Blueberries aren't your thing? Well guess what- these pancakes are great with strawberries, too!
How do I know? I loved these so much I made another batch the next week with strawberries as a garnish instead of blueberries because strawberries are dirt cheap right now :D

This time, I made it just the way Holly intended, with Almond Breeze! I also added just a smidge more poppy seeds. If you don't have almond milk, both methods worked out great for me. So don't let that stop you from making these!
I had a dollop of greek yogurt on the side drizzled with a little maple syrup that tasted soo good with the lemony pancakes and the fresh, juicy strawberries.
drip, drip, drip..
Drool worthy; for sure. (:

Well, there you have it! A couple breakfast ideas if you're in a rut for something new and delicious to eat for the most important meal of the day :D

What's your favorite "special" breakfast?
PS- I connected each breakfast to the one before it with a common main ingredient. Aren't I just oh so clever? :P

No comments:

Post a Comment