Monday, March 14, 2011

New Whole Wheat Pizza Dough Recipe

I always use my go to recipe for whole wheat pizza dough whenever I'm in the mood for a good homemade pizza but yesterday I decided to mix it up and try out a different recipe. Though there isn't a huge difference, I actually like this new dough better! It's slightly more supple and a little easier to work with; my old dough was a little too stiff (I realize this now that I have another dough to compare it to).
So without further ado, here is my new whole wheat pizza dough recipe!
Whole Wheat  Pizza Dough (makes enough for two large pizzas)
Adapted from The Other Side of Fifty
480 grams whole wheat flour (4 cups)
4 1/2 teaspoons yeast
2 tablespoons gluten
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoons each of garlic powder (or two cloves fresh minced garlic!) and red pepper flake
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning mix
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cup water

Add ingredients to bread machine and put on dough cycle. Once it is done, punch all the air out and separate into two equal balls (about 15.8 ounces each). Wrap each with plastic wrap sprayed with a little oil and store in fridge at least overnight before using. You may keep the dough in the fridge for up to a week or freeze and thaw in the fridge overnight.

I used the dough to make a very delicious, traditional style pizza with:
-tomato sauce
-turkey pepperoni
-turkey Italian sausage
-yellow bell pepper
-marinated artichoke hearts
-olives
-pickled jalapeno slices (yum!)
-mushrooms
-onion
-mozzarella and Parmesan cheese

I sauteed the bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, and artichoke hearts in some of the artichoke juice with some fresh garlic so that the mushrooms could break down and everything could soften. I sauteed a 4 ounce link of turkey Italian sausage but probably only used about half of it and saved the rest for another use (see below!).

Before going into the hot, 475 degree oven-
 And after 10 minutes on the pizza stone-
YUM!
I like to go light on the tomato sauce and cheese so the other flavors can shine through.
I think all the water in the tomato sauce disintegrated in the crazy hot oven!
Served with a delicious salad with strawberries, toasted almonds, and raspberry vinaigrette on mixed salad greens.
I had two and a half slices, that pizza was deeeliishh! (And so was the salad<3)
I'm lovin' this dough recipe :D
I like doing unique flavors in the kitchen but sometimes I like eating things that are more traditional, like this pizza with "supreme" type toppings (byt are a little healthier than usual!).

And that extra turkey Italian sausage I had leftover? I used it to make a delicious breakfast burrito this morning!
The burrito included:
-one egg plus one egg white
-a big handful of salad greens, chopped
-leftover turkey Italian sausage and pizza toppings (bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, artichokes)
-Queso Fresco & Chipotle Laughing Cow cheese wedge
-hot sauce
-one green onion, chopped

I sauteed the sausage, greens, and extra pizza toppings until the greens wilted and then added my eggs and hot sauce and cooked it till the eggs scrambled. I took it off the heat and stirred in the green onion (so it would stay crisp) and placed it all onto a large whole wheat La Tortilla Factory (love these!) tortilla spread with Laughing Cow cheese.
 Close up-

Lots of veg :)
Wrapped up and promptly devoured...
Yummmmy!
I never make burritos for breakfast, so this was fun, full of flavor, and beyond delicious.

Speaking of eggs and pizzas...have you ever tried a breakfast pizza? The idea is to put an egg on top and it cooks on top of the pizza while it's in the oven. Never tried it, but if it tastes anything like this burrito then I'm game!

No comments:

Post a Comment