Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The lemon and blueberry combo - three ways

You know how much I love the lemon blueberry combo. There's no denying that, teamed together, lemons and blueberries could rule the world. Well, maybe my world.
I am sad to say that there is now only a couple teaspoons left of lemon curd in the fridge, however, grocery shopping day is just a few days away. Can I make it? There's always the idea of making my own lemon curd. Less expensive, and in fact, I have made it before with great results! We'll see...

Anyways, I would like to present to you the LB combo three ways. All in one day!
First, the most boring-
Eh, blurry picture, sorry. This was toast (using that huge loaf I made) one side with homemade chocolate hazelnut spread and the other with blueberry jam and lemon curd. Well, the jam is actually "mixed berry" but really, it tastes just like blueberry so I'm still deeming this a LB combo (and yes, I will be abbreviating from now on).
Next LB muffins!
I made these muffins with the same base as the coffee cake recipe but majorly adapted it. I love these! I also love how they're non fat (besides the almond topping) and around 85 calories a muffin..who can argue with that?
Low Fat Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Makes: 6-8 muffins
¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries, divided
½ cup non fat blueberry yogurt
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
½ tablespoon grated lemon zest
3-4 teaspoons lemon curd
2 tablespoons chopped toasted almonds (optional)
 Directions:
Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
Combine blueberry yogurt (alternatively any sweetened flavored yogurt OR plain yogurt but add one more tablespoon of sugar) vanilla, egg, and lemon zest.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix briefly. Stir in ½ cup of the blueberries.
Pour batter into muffin cups filling 2/3 the way full; depending on the size of the cups this will fill around 6 to 8. Top each cup with a ½ teaspoon lemon curd and then evenly divide the almonds and the remaining blueberries among the cups.
Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted (not directly in the middle where the lemon curd is) comes out clean.
I just had to try one straight out of the oven and let me tell you, it was fab-u-lous. So moist and the perfect amount of sweetness! I think it would be cool to adapt this recipe to use raspberry yogurt and raspberries! In fact, I could have used lemon yogurt! Next time, next time. Its a plus for me that this recipe only makes around 7 muffins because I don't like having huge batches of stuff laying around. I like variety!
I used some awesome silicone muffin cups my mom gave me for Christmas. They seem a bit smaller than the normal ones but that just means I can have two small muffins instead of one medium one :D
The muffins didn't stick one bit, which is always a problem for me with my often low fat muffins.
And they leave your muffin with cute little ridges! I think these silicone cups will be perfect for making homemade dark chocolate peanut butter cups ( I know my mom is "mmmmm!"-ing as she reads this)
Aren't they cute? You can see the silicone cups stacked up in the background. I think these will work great :D

And lastly, my LB combo #3 is..well, I don't know what to call it!
It's a Carlyn original, that's for sure. I used my leftover pie crust from the Strawberry Rhubarb pie to make little mini pies. Can you guess what's in it? Yuppppp, lemon curd and blueberries. Okay here's how I made them.

First I line 3 muffin cups with my leftover pie crust dough.
It required some patchwork.
Then I filled the muffin cups with all that was left of the blueberry (mixed berry) jam that I had heated on the stove with some cornstarch (to thicken it).
Got a lil' messy..
Then topped the jam with fresh blueberries.
And then covered the blueberries with lemon curd...
Popped them in the oven at 375 for around 15 minutes or so, until the crust started looking brown.
Then I took them out and topped them with a simple whipped meringue (1 egg white, pinch of cream of tartar, dash of vanilla, 1/2 tb sugar)
And put them back in the oven until the meringue turned golden.
How cute is that?!?!?
Its adorbs. Yes, I just said adorbs.
Almost too cute to eat...almost.
Okay so the inside, not so pretty. I took a picture anyway because I knew you guys deserved to see a cross section.
Best. Idea. Ever.
I love just going with the flow and not using a recipe sometimes; you can sometimes end up with something great!
Never throw out those extra dough scraps y'all!
The possibilities are endless. Mmm, like apple pie or, better yet, pumpkin pie! I just might have to do that next time around...
Happy eating!
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment