Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Pumpkin Roll 2

Hey guys! So I tested out my pumpkin roll recipe again, making note of the more exact measurements so I could formulate an actual recipe for me to share. This roll is a winner in this household.
Although they look eerily similar, this is roll number two.
See that big white gash on the top of that pumpkin roll? Well let's just say I still haven't solved the whole ripping problem (I still blame the pan size!)

The differences in this roll and in roll number one were minute but one of the bigger changes was that I used less filling because 1)a good handful splooshed out the first time I made it and 2.) even after some of the filling was lost to the sploosh I thought there was just a tad too much in the first roll. I wanted to taste more of the roll itself and more importantly the pumpkin, so the cream cheese filling was lessened a bit.

A warning: this recipe will most likely yield a ripped cake (seeing as I have tried this twice).  If you would rather have a perfect roll then by all means use the recommended 15x10 inch pan. In that case, refer to the original Libby's recipe for cooking time. Also, the filling may not be enough for a cake with more surface area, so take that into consideration.

Breakfast Pumpkin Roll
Loosely adapted from Libby's Recipe
Yields: 6 servings
Ingredients
·         1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
·         3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
·         1/2 teaspoon baking powder
·         1/2 teaspoon baking soda
·         1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
·         1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
·         ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
·         1/4 teaspoon salt
·         3 large eggs
·         ½-3/4 cup granulated sugar (depending on how sweet you want it. I'd go with about 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons if you like exact measurements.)
·         2/3 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
·         4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese***
·         1/3 cup powdered sugar
·         1 1/2 tablespoons Brummel & Brown butter (or butter)
·         1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
·         Dash of salt

Directions
1.      PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 9 x 13-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. And grease wax paper. Sprinkle towel with powdered sugar.
2.      COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, pumpkin pie spice and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
3.      BAKE for 18 to 19 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.
4.      BEAT cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, dash of salt and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Place in freezer and stir every 10 minutes until filling is cool to the touch and is thick (not runny). Carefully unroll cake (cooled for 45 minutes); remove towel. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

***( I used “weight watchers” cream cheese, which has 3 grams of fiber per ounce, which changes the nutritional information since normal low fat cream cheese has 0)

 Nutritional Information:
Calories: 281
Fat:7.4g
Fiber:5g
Protein: 7 g
Sugar: 34g (yes, a little high, but the original was much worse)

In fact, I show you the original's stats: (if it were to be split into 6 servings)
Calories: 718
Fat: 40g
Fiber: 3.3g
Protein: 11g
Sugar:66g

Granted, the original does have a lot more filling, but I like to really taste the spicy pumpkin.

Well there you go, the healthified pumpkin roll!
Now if you're one of those people that like step-by-step pictures then no worries. Especially with this recipe since it seems so complicated.

First I wanted to show you guys something I noticed in my fridge...
Pumpkin, butternut squash sauce, mashed sweet potato, and..cream.
When I went into the fridge to grab the pumpkin I was welcomed by this orange-tastic sight:P 
Okay, so most of it; I put the heavy cream in there to complete the orangeness of it all but now I'm thinking it doesn't quite go along with the rest of them. The rest are delicious, nutritious, starchy vegetables while the heavy cream is..well, not. 

ANYWAYS..
So you pour your batter into your pan lined with parchment paper that has been greased.
I fixed the upper left hand corner once I noticed it after taking the picture.
Popped that guy into the oven for 18 minutes and 30 seconds (what worked for me).
Then I put powdered sugar on a (ugly off-white)towel-
Here's the cake once it was done-
Now this next step is a little messy. You must lift the cake out of the pan and quickly turn it over on the towel without breaking it. AKA get ready for powdered sugar puff-cloud in your direction. :D
*POOF*
Carefully roll the cake up nice and tight and place it on a cooling rack.
Whip up the filling and chill it till it's nice and thick.
Mmm...
This way it will reduce the sploosh factor once you start rolling up your roll.
Unroll your cake after a good 45 minutes or so of cooling.
AH, RIPS!! See that big rip? Yeah, that one went all the way through. I basically had two separate pieces of cake, but I made it work. (:
Apply the filling-
Make sure you get into that curled up part; you want to make sure there's plenty of filling in there because that will be the middle of the roll. Also, as you start rolling, the filling will move from the beginning to the end so apply more of the filling towards the curled end.
Roll her up and wrap her in plastic wrap.
Yeahh, so not so pretty, right? Don't worry, in the morning it will look much better all rolled out :P
OR you could just do a much better job than me and you wouldn't have to worry about looking at this monstrosity. 
After a night in the fridge, the roll is ready to be demolished..
YUM!
I think the rips add character, no?
I sliced myself a piece..
Embrace the rip?
Or hide it?
Either way, DELICIOUS! <3

I'm gonna embrace it (:
I love my Harry Potter roll; too bad its all eaten. 
I hope you guys enjoy it too!
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment